One of the most medieval defense system in Eastern Europe can be regarded as defense-hydraulic structures of the Polish and Russian gates that were placed on either side of a rocky isthmus. Might Kamenetskikh fortifications impressed not only of many travelers, but also enemies. During its long history, the city-fortress was taken only three times: in 1393 the Lithuanian Duke Vytautas in 1430 – because of disagreement among the garrison occupied Poland in 1672 – Turkish (thanks to more than 60-fold military superiority). Khotyn Khotyn Fortress is an outstanding defensive architecture XIII-XIV centuries. and for a long time played an important strategic role in protecting the territory of Bukovina and the waterway along the Dniester. Place for a fortress was chosen on the steep slopes the high right bank of the Dniester and the first small stone fortress built in the middle of the thirteenth century, occupied a small part of the present castle.
In 1538 the castle was conquered and destroyed by the Poles, and later – the Cossacks, Dmitry Vyshnevetsky. The Turks restored the ruined walls, expanding the area of the castle, building a new Gate Tower. At the beginning of the XVIII century, given the new military requirements, design and build so-called New Castle and surrounding old stone castle seven new bastion fortifications. It was near the fortress Cossack hetman Sagaidachny was mortally wounded. At the entrance to the castle is a monument to Peter Sagaydachny.
Now all the objects Khotyn fortress includes a national historical and cultural reserve. By the way, this fortress became the scenery for the filming of "Ivanhoe" and "Taras Bulba". Rock-Podolsky Castle, whose ruins are preserved before our time, rebuilt the castle XIV-XV century, which at one time been erected on the site of ancient settlement. He settled on part of a high cliff above the valley Zbruch. In the scheme of the castle had an elongated shape, which was due to relief. Of defensive structures was built a tower and defensive walls. The palace was a two-story and located across the castle grounds, sharing its courtyard on the ceremonial and economic. Castle repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt, finally went into decline in the XIX century.